Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Falling in love...

My dream library was the first one I ever saw.
This perfect library... with thousands of books, and a balcony, a huge ladder and it just so happened to be in my childhood home. 
Surrounded by his books, sitting at a huge wooden desk, with his incense burning, classical music playing, and the fire crackling, my dad did whatever dad's did.

I think he was secretly waiting just for me.

We would talk endlessly.
This is also where I learned to love reading.  Ahhh the classics.  I first fell in love with "Secret Garden" and "Little Princess," "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," and then it turned into everything Jane Austin and Bronte sisters. Which is something I have never out grown.  I remember he paid me 100 dollars to read "Huckleberry Finn"  to expand my horizons. Ha! But seriously, I would climb the elephant ladder, (pictured below if you have never had the pleasure of seeing one...  see how it folds up into that pole?) find my perfect book, and enter my new but temporary world.
Many childhood days were spent curled up in this perfect spot... and oh how I have wanted a place in my home that I could surround myself with books in the same way.

I have pinned more libraries on pinterest then I can count... but I just couldn't think of where to put it. In our cottage, we just don't have a place for a full library.

Enter my love that is the maker and keeper of my dreams.

He was on Craigslist and saw these bookshelves that someone was giving away.  They were sturdy and perfect for a wall of bookshelves and just the right dimensions for someone that is a carpenter and the maker of my dreams.  Not exactly my library but oh soooo close.  
So my living room got completely reorganized and I got my library. ;)
Holy crap I love them so much.  I mean really really love them.
Like stare at them all day kind of love.  Did you see how he built them in with the wainscoting on the side? Did you see the lights? Did you see the freaking ladder? Oh yea he built that too.  It's not an elephant ladder but pear cottage isn't Brookburn. (My childhood home)
I mean seriously.
I know they need so many more books and I will keep working on it because right now I have had to improvise with other things which looks darling but not the exact look I want... which is
books, books and more books!
It will take time.
Did I say how much I love them?
Well I do...I really do.

This is the wall before my library was put in. ;)
Our piano used to be on this wall but because I'm me and everything is an afterthought, I forgot to take a picture before. I moved it onto the adjacent wall and moved that piece of furniture in our bedroom.

The wall

My first look at the book cases in there.

Painting these things were a beast.

progress...he had to do all the electrical for the lights and pull the outlets out to the front.  Plus all the light switches and such.



Before:
The before of the other wall.
That English antique pine armoire is from my parents home and I really really wanted it to stay in the living room. I knew it was going to be difficult but I was determined.  I also wanted the antique English desk to stay. It really isn't a desk or a sofa table but that is it's purpose for now.
I still love the gallery wall as well but with a wall full of bookshelves I knew it would be too busy.
Much rearranging lay ahead of us.


After:
By removing the gallery wall and sliding the antique armoire down closer to the windows, I was able to keep it in this room without it looking too crowded or busy.


Before

After:
I mean... have I said seriously yet?
















While I wait patiently for books to fill up these shelves I have placed all things that are near and dear to my heart.












I am thankful for books, my library, my honey, and Brookburn and of course my dad.  Without my dad and without that first library... who knows where or what I would be.

Linking up with French Country Cottage

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map