Friday, May 29, 2015

Changed Forever...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

by John McCrae, May 1915
My mom read us poetry quite a bit when I was growing up.  I thought she was a little coocoo at the time but I have to admit the poetry she read to us really has made a difference in my life.  

First off I love poetry. 
Second off on certain occasions or holidays, I have the urge to read the same poems she read to us year after year. 
For example it just wouldn't be right if I didn't read 
Flanders Fields on Memorial Day. 

So I did.
That's right I had a poetry reading at City Park in downtown
and I was the star of the show only participant and I have absolutely no doubt that the listeners (my family) thought I was coocoo.
I might not have read anything had we showed up on time for the 11:00 memorial service they were having in the park.  It only took us like an hour to get out the door and walk downtown, which is a world record for us, but alas that still just was not quick enough.
We really did try.
So since the red, white and blue wreath flowers were still there and they were just taking down the chairs we had our own little impromptu service initiated by my Honey.
We told our own stories.
Maggie just watched "Saving Private Ryan"
Tom's dad served in the Korean War.
Ann's dad served in WW2
and my Grandpa served in WW1
My dad was in the military and stationed in France and I
read my poem.

But it felt good.
 I felt like we were honoring the soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice in our teeny tiny but very grateful way.
I know I have mentioned it before but traveling to Normandy in France changed me forever.
I am just so grateful...
grateful that I get to worship the way I want to,
grateful that my children get to go to school,
grateful my husband get's to work at whatever job he wants to,
grateful that we get to travel,
grateful for a country that puts our freedoms first and that soldiers are fighting for that freedom right now.
Grateful for those couple minutes in the park, with my family that I was able to say thank you to so many in my own way... even if my poetry reading was a little coocoo. ;)




After we had our impromptu memorial service and a picnic we headed back to the beach for my perfect day.


 Ella and her new surf buddy...her Aunt Ann!









 My favorite memory of the day was after everyone went back to the house to get warmed up.  Trevor and Rachel and I sat in front of this fire with a slight drizzle and a sunset.  We just talked.  I love Rachel so much and we had so much to get caught up on since she was married last August.  Did I mention how much I loved it?  We finally pulled ourselves away at about 9:00.
It's moments like this...so happy.  

Our Morning run with Maggie.  I am so mad she wasn't in the picture.  She showed us these trails and it was right along the coast.
Is this my real life?

My little travelers.
This was actually on the way down there.  We hit traffic and instead of it taking 2 hours it took 3 hours and 40 minutes.  It was the worst until my best friend corrected and said no... the worst is if you died in a car accident 1/2 an hour before getting there.
See why I love her?
She's right who cares if we were in traffic.  We got there safe.  I just love this picture because we drive soooo much and this is Ella and Charlie always. We didn't leave Carmel until 10:00 at night on Memorial day so the kids just slept on the way home.
Tuesday morning school was horrifying.

I am just so grateful for all of it.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map