Thursday, November 3, 2011

New Hampshire (Day 3)

How beautifully the leaves grow old. How full of light and color their last days.
John Burroughs

Finally it was time to go see the colored leaves.
Evidently, Boston mid October is usually in its peak of fall. However it hasn't been cold enough to turn those leaves. So you might see a red of yellow tree here or there but basically they were still all green. :(

So we woke up and rented our car and immediately headed up to New Hampshire. We had been told over and over again that we needed to get to the White Mountain Forest and drive the Kancamagus Highway.

Now once again there was a leaf changing delay and we had to get pretty far North to see them. Tom and I being serious road warriors didn't care how far North we needed to get. We would have driven to Canada to see the splendor.
There was just a tiny problem. Come to find out the year that my fall dream fell into place was also the year that New England got a lot of rain. All this moisture does something to the tree. The leaves just turn yellow and fall off the branches. Soooo you don't have as much color as you normally do. Ugh!!
But to us it was just as breathtaking and beautiful as possible. Maybe the trees weren't as spectacular as other years but that is all relative. It was this crisp fall day with crunchy leaves under my feet. A feeling in the air I will never forget and this day goes into my books as a highlight.

Oh the New England windy roads, with majestic forest on either side, leading to yet another idyllic small town. A white church in the center with pumpkins everywhere and cornstalks crawling up each lamppost. It was something out of a storybook and I would just let out joyful screams.
People live here...this is their home...o.m.g.

Early on in the day we also discovered covered bridges.
I had heard of covered bridges. I mean I read " The Bridges of Madison County" but it took seeing them to make me want to jump up and down.
So we went bridge chasing!
Their history, their adorableness, their oldness and their beautiful streams and rivers that run under them. It lit a little fire under us and now we might have to go to Madison county just to see the bridges. Ha!

On our way...




Where I first fell in love with my first covered bridge.







See what I am saying!















unbelievable right?




Rain..whatever that is a stunning leaf.
I fell head over heals in love with this old beauty.


Isn't she something?


My love still trying to work. :)

This is the last bridge before day gave into night . It nearly broke my heart. I would of given anything for 6 more hours of the suns precious light.


Along the way the barns almost killed me.
We eventually started saying... stop at every church, bridge, barn or really just any dilapidated building. All of it is worthy of our time.




Thank you New Hampshire. You were everything I thought you would be...you were perfect!

1 comment:

My boy and I said...

Oh my gosh Hilary. STUNNING photos. My favorite is the one of you and Tom though. It really is the cutest!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map