Friday, May 13, 2011

The Simple Things

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.

Confucius


Sometimes in life big events make me happy( i.e. Kate and Williams wedding.) But more often than not they are the little things adding up. Simple things that happen each day that make me smile, bring me joy and just make me happy to live on this planet. I have to be less busy, quieter,
and pay attention.

These are the subtle moments that will be lost in minutes if my life is too complicated.

OK just because I feel like it I am going to list a couple of miniscule things that put a huge smile on my face.

fresh cut flowers in a vase
a strangers smile
my child's genuine smile
a daffodil that has just broken through the soil
a clean house
singing my favorite hymn at church
having a good laugh but especially with my kiddos
finishing an amazing book and wanting to read it over... right then
fresh cut hair
watching the sun set over the ocean
planting flowers and watching them grow(especially impatiens when they spill over my pots)
ok just anything to do with flowers
the sound of my children's laughter
the night sky
the perfect temperature during the day (78-85 degrees)
rain hitting the roof while I fall asleep(especially at the cabin)
or a diligent Mama bird taking care of her babies

My kids and I watch this Mama bird every spring.
She/offspring has been laying her eggs in the same birdhouse for the last 4 years. We can hardly wait until her delicate eggs hatch and we hear those itty bitty chirps. They get stronger with each passing week until they are really loud chirps and we know it won't be long until they learn how to fly and leave their cozy nest.

The reason I even bring this up is reason #93 of why I love the camera. Taking pictures makes me relax and just notice what is going on around me.

So anywho a couple of weeks ago my kiddos wanted to see if we could get a picture of the mama feeding her babies. They are demanding, hungry little things and they are just a chirpin all the time. They practically scream when the Mom is in the nest. We had so much fun sitting there quiet so she would forget that a family of humans was watching her. (Pretty difficult with Charlie there but we managed.)

So I got out my camera and sat. Just a simple moment and if I am quiet enough and pay attention it will add up to a lifetime of wonderful.




Today I am just grateful for simple things.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map