Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Ever After

Once in a while
Right in the middle of an ordinary life,
Love gives us a fairy tale.
~ Anonymous ~

That is just how I felt. Somewhere in the middle of my ordinary life someone sprinkled fairy dust on my head and I was placed in a magical kingdom in a far off land. It was in another time and dimension and it was straight out of a leather bound, gold leafed book. There along with all the other common folk we witnessed a real life prince and princess start their enchanting life together.


I felt privileged. Reality would never be the same or so I thought.


My sisters and I along with 200 thousand other happy commoners watched the fairy tale in Trafalgar square.The square is flanked with fountains, beautiful St. Martins-on-the Field church, the national gallery and the statue of Lord Nelson proudly looking down on us all. Trafalgar is about a 3 minute walk from our flat and is central with Westminster Abbey just to our right and the mall that leads to Buckingham palace just to our left. Prime seats baby right at our doorstep. London had installed 3 huge movie screens around the square so that nobody had a bad seat. Now all we had to do was watch the wedding of the decade and wait in anticipation in hopes of catching a glimpse of that carriage holding the worlds new beloved couple.

And then we saw them.
First the white horses and then the prince and princess.
Time stood still and my life was complete.

Why was it such a big deal?
I guess all of us are hopeless romantics. We want to love and be loved. We love fairy tales and happy ever afters. We dream of true love for ourselves and we want everyone
we meet to find their true love. On top of it all we find a connection to Kate and William. They seem like us in a regular sort of way. Well except they are royalty and thus we find ourselves completely and hopelessly wrapped up in their story. I was blessed enough to have fairy dust sprinkled on my head and witness it all.

There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.

~ George Sands ~



Love doesn't make the world go round,
love is what makes the ride worthwhile

Elizabeth Browning

The happy onlookers at Trafalgar square
The National Gallery in the background
Big Ben in the background. That gives you an idea how close Westminster Abby is.
When the one man loves the one women and the one women loves the one man, the very angels desert heaven and come and sit in that house and sing for joy

The Brahma Sutras


To make the celebration complete they flew jets and old WW 2 airplanes right over us.
Well I thought I was leaving that magic fairy land behind and reality was going to be difficult. But when I got home I remembered that I married my own prince over 20 years ago. He had stayed home happily while I was in England. He had to work his job as well as mine. He tried to keep cultural shock to a minimum by having the house clean and flowers in a vase.

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own

Robert Hienlein


So you see I married my prince not in a cathedral but in a temple of God. It was not in front of billions but in front of less than 30 people that we love
dearly.
I didn't give birth to an heir to the throne but to 4 children that have far more important earthly responsibilities.
My mother and father in law are not the King and Queen of England but continue to teach me everyday by their example of how to be a better person with their wisdom and kind words.
I am not going to live in a palace but my Tom has given me the cottage of my dreams.
I will not have unlimited supply for clothes and shoes but shopping at Ross with Tom beats that any day. (Well almost.)

In the end I remembered I was privileged beyond my wildest dreams. I had my own happily ever after. So after a very long plane ride home I cuddled on the couch with my very own prince.

I am grateful that we are all princesses after all.

2 comments:

My boy and I said...

Cutest post ever!!!! Love you!

Dan Doxey said...

Wow...that's all we're saying. Hil, you've given me an idea on what to do with all the random, awesome quotes I collect, and have never had a home for (our blog)...your posts are awesome. Love how you write, and pull together the experience. By the way, I haven't made a lot of effort in breaking down your wedding photos until now. You magically appear older then than you do now! Great post.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map