Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The In Between....

Charlie went to school today for the first time since his ghastly cold sore illness.
Therefore I am without kids for the first time in over 3 weeks.
I am missing sitting by the fire with my little buddy.  He looked at me as I was dropping him off at school and said, "I am going to miss you soooo much."
Right back at ya buddy...right back at ya.

So I am lonely and I all I want to do is chuck crap.  It's my favorite therapy.  Some people like retail therapy and I like chucking therapy.

I love the saying "if you want nothing then you have everything".  
I don't know who said that but I think about it a lot.   I am at the stage in life where I really don't want anything.
I have my dream house in my exact style.  Of course, I would like some new furniture because I call myself a furniture hoarder, but for reals I love everything of mine just fine.  I have enough clothes, shoes and all of it.  My kids have everything they need.  My house is full of groceries and I don't want one single thing.
For so long in life you want things.
Your forever house and the things to put in it.
Cuter clothes..cuter this...cuter that.  I am just over it.
I guess what I am trying to say, without having any intention when I sat down to write today, 
is that I am grateful.
Just super super grateful.

I wrote yesterday how I am struggling with Tom being 50. I really am... But I guess one of the advantages to age is being over stuff. Don't get me wrong I will always love cute and I have to surround myself with beautiful things. Beautiful things sit well with my soul and make me feel happy.  Plus, one of Tom's favorite things is puttering around our pear cottage on little projects.  I  certainly don't see that changing anytime soon, but I just like to rearrange and use what I have.  I have enough beautiful things to last a lifetime.  I still occasionally scroll houzz and insta because I love houses and design soooo much, but I don't sit there thinking, "I want that and I want that".
I am over it and I am just grateful.

Huh...well back to December...

All the in between.  The things that make Christmas...
Christmas.

I kept up my new mantra of enjoying the everyday moments and not over extending myself.  I wrote about it last year. 
This is what makes Christmas magical for me. 
So I again said "no" to most things.  And again I know this is not for everyone but it forces me to focus on the now and not stress out thinking about everything I had to do.  So we had fun as a family and cherishing the time when Nicholas was there with us.
It was just so special.
Some little highlights of the in between were....

The trip to San Francisco with Rachel and Madison, Tom, Ann and my two littles to the largest gingerbread house in the world or something in the Fairmont hotel.
That fun would not be complete without hot cookie in the Castro and bi rite.
Oh and a visit  to the most decorated house right in a darling Victorian.
Santa was there and all handing out candy canes.  Don't even try and get out of there without one because he was seriously hurt if you didn't take one.  
I learned the hard way.




Can you believe this house...holy crap.

Ice skating.
Charlie's first time by the way.  Hilarious...just hilarious.  He started to get the hang of it and I am one proud mama for how hard he tried.

Living in Canada has its perks and ice skating every day is one of them.  My kids were impressed that I could go backwards.   Ha!


Fenton's...

Fun in the city, ice cream at Mr. and Mrs. Miscellaneous and dinner in the mission.  I think it is important to note here that Tom chose the  Mexican restaurant and they only took cash. So he ran to the ATM and I went back to the bathroom.
Big mistake...huge.
First off, I am a vegetarian and so meat in the best of circumstances grosses me out.  What they had going on back there had me dry heaving.  I went to the bathroom and it was the worst and that is all I will say about that.  I marched my kids right out the door and said, "No can do".

So we skedaddled to another spot and keep in mind my people are STARVING!! They are so hangry it was ridiculous... so they are not pleased we left the first restaurant because their mom was "grossed " out..
We walked for days to the second choice and I am really not sure it was much better.  I wisely chose not to use the facility and kept my distance from the kitchen because my kids reserve was clearly gone. So I just ordered my burrito and hoped for the best.
Ummm but not my favorite.



Another trip in to Tartine.
Look at the line?  Who is that insane to wait?
Clearly me and yes it is worth it. hahahaha

Honestly they keep me entertained for the 45 minutes it takes.

This is really us.  
Cozied up in our home with carols and baking and eating bowls of cereal. 
I love Christmas.


No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map