Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it."
Clarence Budington Kelland

-

My Dad never dictated how I should live my life but gently guided it. He never forced but encouraged.
My dad has always been my wise friend, my confidant, my sounding board, my compass and my hero.

My dad loved hearing me talk and oh how I loved to talk. As a child I talked endlessly. I remember my mother saying more than once, "Why do you talk so much?" But my dad just listened. He listened endlessly to my constant chatter or he pretended to...I would never have known the difference. :) I would sit on his bathroom floor with my two curly pigtails and watch him shave and suit up for his work day. I would sit there and tell stories about the comings and goings of my little life... nothing was too insignificant and my dad listened. He listened and listened.

He made me feel so important.

He made me feel like what I had to say somehow mattered and that my opinions were worthwhile
. I have heard my dad say many times that he never thought of his children as kids, but rather adults in small bodies. He would take me on motorcycle trips, hikes,and we would go on endless runs all the while forging a relationship that I will cherish until the end of time. I have never stopped talking to him and my dad is still listening.

He celebrates my triumphs, he is worried for my concerns and his heart breaks with my trials. He loves my children and he loves me...no matter what.

My dad plain and simply lives his life, I watched him and he is my hero.




That same pigged tail little girl would ask my mom how she married such a wonderful man. She told me that when she was a little girl that she would pray every day for a good husband.
That day I started and I never stopped.

Every night the two staple things in my prayer were that I would find a good husband and that I wouldn't go blind. Yea-- not so sure why I was so freaked out about loosing my eyesight but let's just say I still add that in a prayer now and again. :)

Those childhood prayers were more than answered and I met the love of my life at 18 years old. Now my prayers have changed and instead of asking I am thanking. I will be thanking Heavenly Father for my wonderful husband for eternity.

So on father's day I celebrate these two amazing men in my life. Without them and their unconditional love--- I would quite simply be lost.

I am grateful for my dad and for my Tom.

1 comment:

My boy and I said...

Oh that was the sweetest post. I loved reading it. I am excited to see you too! I have a ton of household projects I want to work on such as refinishing and repainting things. My mom does too so we are hoping you will be able to teach us!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map